27 april 1945 were published two orders of V. Chernyshev about organizing POW camp the territory of the USSR. One of them is located in the village Gelsendorf (Zahirne)Drohobych region received serial number 232 totaled 1,500 people. Prisoners planned to use in the construction of the plant and the local settlement “Sazhovyk”.
First the settlement of Sazhovyk planned build from the territory of the German graveyard, to the village of Komariv. But the village elder of Komariv Mykola Velgosh was against of it. People in those fields had part of land and would not give them. That why the settlement where is now.
POW camp was locate in the territory of elementary school and the modern church of St. Vladimir. The guardian of camp was Joseph Borsuk. In classes of elementary school was located the repository of sabot for prisoners. Often kids from neighboring villages, came to the repository to get sabot cause they had no other shoes.
After hard work prisoners were taken to the bathhouse. Bathhouse situated in the yard where now living the family of Buchkovskyh.
The prisoners died from hard work right on the construction. At the cemetery dug three graves in advance. Burial of German prisoners of war is at present cemetery residents of Zahirne. Today,at this burial we can see the metal cross, and behind solid overgrown.
POW Camp was eliminated at 03/25/1948 (10/12/1945 relocated to the city Stryi. From 31.12.1945 the number of prisoners was 5,000. )